Graduate Certificate in Diplomatic Studies
The graduate Certificate in Diplomatic Studies is designed for students whose careers demand an understanding of the formulation and implementation of foreign policy and the dynamics of diplomacy as government officials, diplomats, in the NGO world, or the private sector. The certificate’s requirements seek to help students integrate and complement their graduate degree programs, to provide them with the intellectual skills to assess the complexity of issues and actors beyond the student’s own functional or geographic area of concentration, to synthesize a wide range of information sources, to extrapolate from relevant case studies and broad strategic goals, and to devise innovative, yet pragmatic policy implementation steps. ISD welcomes graduate students from across Georgetown University.
The goal is a balance of functional and regional focuses, core and emerging issues, and statecraft skills and competencies tailored to the academic background and career goals of the student.
Together with the ISD certificate director, certificate candidates will plan a directed, coherent course of study that includes:
- An internship with an organization that affects or is affected by diplomatic policy.
- One foundation course in the first year of their graduate work, with a grade of A- or A.
- Four electives, at least two of which are outside their degree concentration or academic focus.
- One ISD-directed capstone in the spring of the their second year of their graduate work.
- SFS language competency requirement.
Watch our latest info session recording for the 2023 capstone requirement.